Prevent & Overcome Back Acne
Overcome back acne: In the words of John Mayer, “Bad news never has good timing.” Well, the same thing can be said for back acne (aka bacne), no matter the season, bacne never has good timing. Not only can it ruin your plans for the perfect outfit (whether it’s that backless dress or the new bikini you bought) it also causes you physical discomfort. We understand, that bacne is frustrating & irritating (literally). In order to prevent & overcome back acne, we first need to understand what causes it. Similar to facial acne, the genesis of bacne is the buildup of dead skin cells, bacteria & excessive sebum. Not only is the skin on your back thicker, making it more vulnerable to clogged pores, but it also has more oil glands than other parts of the body. Hence, bacne. But don’t worry, we’ve got your back (literally).
Here are a few tips & trips to prevent & overcome back acne at home:
- Avoid wearing tight clothing, especially when working out because it can lead to acne mechanica, which is sweat & oil mixed with friction causing damage to your hair follicles and making your back more susceptible to infection (aka breakouts).
- Avoid fragrances whether that is laundry detergent or perfume the chemicals found in these products can cause your pores to become clogged.
- Stress can heighten hormonal levels leading to acne.
- Clean your sheets & towels regularly if you do not change out your towels & sheets regularly they can start to build up with dead skin cells, acne-causing bacteria & dust mites…ew.
- Do not pick! Resist the urge to pick because it to inflammation & can cause hyperpigmentation.
- Hair care products can contain chemicals, like sulfates and/or oils, that can irritate & clog your pores. Pro-tip: when in the shower waiting for your conditioner to do its thing, put your hair up to prevent products & overcome back acne Have contact with your back & make washing your back the last step in your routine.
- Like most problems with our body changing your diet to eating more anti-inflammatory foods can reduce all forms of acne (yes, that includes bacne).
- Moisturize your back to keep your skin hydrated & to regulate sebum production.
- Remove Whey protein from your diet since it can cause inflammation in your body which can lead to cystic acne.
- Use a back scrubber inside the shower to make sure you are gently exfoliating away any buildup of dead skin cells that can lead to clogged pores.
Below are tried & true products to invest in to kick your bacne to the curb:
- Invest in a body scrub our favorite, our favorite is Cosmedix Polish 2-3 times a week.
- Invest in a Vitamin A body product, our favorite is Cosmedix A-Lift.
- Invest in a Glycolic body wash, our favorite is the Benev AHA Body Cleanser Glycolic.
Don’t worry, you don’t have to defeat bacne all on your own, here are some professional treatments we recommend here at Face of Jules:
- Oxylight Therapy combines purified oxygen and LED light therapy as a means of revitalizing the skin and treating a variety of skin conditions including acne, hyperpigmentation, and wrinkles. The highly popular and luxurious Oxylight treatment is effective, relaxing, and safe. With Oxylight you’ll be able to get the fresh, glowing skin you’ve been seeking.
- Dermal Infusion Facial is the new innovative 3-in-1 skin resurfacing treatment. This treatment combines exfoliation, extraction, and serum infusion, all in one. This treatment addresses a variety of skin concerns including acne, dry skin, pigmentation, and anti-aging. Our facial also includes our sought-after Oxylight Therapy. This facial will leave your skin balanced and beautiful.
- DMK Body Enzyme is an exfoliating, strengthening & firming treatment specifically designed for the body. DMK Body Enzyme Therapy contours while encouraging the skin to perform better. It increases circulation and lymphatic drainage and strengthens and firms skin. It is excellent for cellulite, fluid retention, dry skin, poor circulation, and capillaries as well as the treatment of ingrown hairs, pigmentation, stretch marks, and acne on the body. It can be provided on a broad range of body areas and doesn’t include any downtime.
- Our Back facial heals and revitalizes the skin on your back with our relaxing, effective back treatment. Our back facial includes a steam-based deep pore cleansing along with thorough exfoliation, careful extractions, and fantastic micronutrient-rich serum treatment. If you have active acne breakouts or skin irritation, this treatment will work wonders for you. Includes Oxylight.
Well, there you have it. All the tools are necessary to make sure bacne is a thing of the past. Don’t forget, like anything, it takes time, patience & endurance to get your skin where you want it to be. Don’t get discouraged if you are struggling, that is what we are here for!